Saturday, April 28, 2012

Pineapple Rice

Last month, my mother-in-law, sent us a wonderful cookbook, Grazing Along the Crooked Road: Recipes and Stories- Past and Present by Skeens and Bondurant. Visiting family in the hills of Virginia is always a welcome respite, especially those Southern breakfasts, lunches, and dinners that go along with the relaxing companionship. It is a pleasure to bring some of the South to our home, both in the recipes and the stories.

My daughter loves trying to cook, and she picked "Pineapple Rice" to try first. The recipe is simple, but I could not imagine adding those ingredients to rice. So, with trepidition on my part, we had Pineapple Rice for dinner one day last week. I, suprisingly, loved it! I did not add all the sugar the recipe calls for, as I did not want a sugar overload, but as sweet as the rice turned out, I still quite enjoyed it. My daughter and husband, both of whom I often think would prefer to live on bowls on sugar with maybe a few extra other foods, both found the rice too sweet! I can't stop giggling. I love the irony of my two sugar-holics disliking a very sweet rice (I will mention that my husband typically adds both sugar and butter to plain rice before he will eat it) while my curry-spicy palate took a liking to a sweetness I don't usually pick.  My recommendation would be either baked chicken or pork chops to go along with this rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment