Saturday, April 28, 2012

My Teacher's Planning Calendar

Over the past year I have worked out a system for recording lessons in an easy-to-view format that allows me to seperate each subject area, and customize for short notes along with a brief resource list per subject. This has evolved into a 5-page monthly summary- which seems like a lot, but my table format is what takes up the space, not words.

I prefer a computerized version of record-keeping, as I not only need to keep my state-required documentation, but also keep a more detailed record for my daughter's noncustodial father. I can save the month's record-keeping on PDF format, making it easily accessible, without having to make numerous copies.

Instead of placing all lessons per day on one calendar day- which I found messy and which did not easily allow me to check progress in a specific subject- I now use a table format that allows me to place two subjects on one page, each subject having it's own 5-week section, allowing a slight overlap of the previous and upcoming months. I pair Language Arts and Mathematics, Science and Social Studies, Art and Music, Health and P. E., and Religion and Socialization. Each pair recieves their own page, totalling 5 printed pages, one-sided, per month. Under each pair is room for an abbreviated list of the resources used in the subject that month.


SAMPLE Month 2012 Lessons & Activities SAMPLE


Sunday
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Lang. Arts
Week1
day
day
day
day
day
day
day
Week2
day
day
day
day
day
day
day
Week3
day
day
day
day
day
day
day
Week4
day
day
day
day
day
day
day
Week5
day
day
day
day
day
day
day
Math
Week1
day
day
day
day
day
day
day
Week2
day
day
day
day
day
day
day
Week3
day
day
day
day
day
day
day
Week4
day
day
day
day
day
day
day
Week5

day
day
day
day
day
day
day

Language Arts: “Grammar Workbook”, vocabulary list, “Poem” (author), “book title” (author), “book title- teacher resource” (author). Free Reading: (list of student picks)

Mathematics: “Math Workbook”, tanagram puzzle, Yahtzee (game), community transactions (bank, shopping), “Website” (online skill games, math practice)


(The above sample did not quite transfer properly, but I hope it makes some sense.)

I use all seven days of the week, as learning can happen at any time. Maryland requires 180 school days per year, so I mark down on a separate chart any date- just the date- where there were 3 or more subjects taught or a field trip until my daughter has reached the 180 days for the year. We still do school beyond those 180 days; I just don't officially record them as school days.

In each subject area, I mark down either "no lesson" or a brief description of the learning that took place on each day of the month. I may mark down a specific lesson number: #42 (86%) in the Language Arts rows would mean Climbing to Good English Lesson #42, and she earned an 86%. I might use page numbers instead: 256-257 (92%) in the Math rows would indicate Sylvan workbook pages 256-257, and she earned 92%; or E 34, G 62 in the Science would mean we used those pages in the Essentials and Giant workbooks. I also use a chapter or a subject, such as Ch 30 (India) to indicate Chapter 30 of Story of the World (Social Studies section) or landscapes, van Gogh under Art. If she has a class, I will describe the class: co-op, or voice, or soccer. I may list sharks in Science, and in the resource list note the name of the TV program and channel or the book she read. Because I am aware someone else looking at my notes may not know what it means, I use the resource list to note the texts, programs, classes, and websites referenced.

I include Socialization as my final subject area, though only to demonstrate that my daughter has a wide variety of interactions with peers and in the community, as well as with family. I will note down friends, Church, classes, events, organizations, appointments, visits, special family time (e.g. game night), and any other happening that counts as a social interaction. This is not a legal requirement. Because of my custody situation, however, and I know many other homeschoolers face similar scrutiny in family court, I chose to include this section in my record-keeping to demonstrate the varied and consistent interactions my daughter has with peers and adults. When academics cannot be targetted, critics often try to say homeschooling is harmful socially. The falacy of "isolation" is one I am more than willing to demonstrate!

I have learned that everyone eventually figures out a system that works for them. Sometimes, it takes experimenting with several options. Sometimes what worked needs adjusted. When I look back at how I initially recorded my daughter's homeschooling I cringe at how difficult it is for me to read, and I am happy with the system I have since come up with. Being able to quickly glance through a subject, without having to read through notes or around other subjects has helped me notice her progress and the concentration of topics. If I need more detail, I can use the brief note on this planner to go directly to the actual lesson done, and since I save her finished work in subject order by the month, it is easy to find. I also hope it has made it easier for others, both for reviews and the family situation, to see that my daughter is learning, and socializing.

No comments:

Post a Comment