Saturday, May 19, 2012

Homeschooling and Special Needs Children

My daughter is "special needs". It was a big reason why I chose to pull her out of public school and homeschool instead. I have researched a lot of the benefits and struggles with homeschooling a child who has struggles, and here are a few links:

HSLDA Special Needs has lots of information on homeschooling the special needs child.

Homeschooling the Learning Disabled and Other Special Needs Child from Bayshore Educational has links.

Experiences of ADHD-Labeled Kids Who Switch... from Peter Gray.

HSLDA Homeschooling and ADHD

I have found that my daughter responds very well to one-on-one, to being able to take a break- 5 minutes or a day- if necessary, to be able to slowly reinforce skills in focusing and handling emotions, and to be able to use right-brain and alternative methods of learning lessons. I have learned there are numerous different techniques, skills, and options that can be used as needed to help me as her teacher and parent.

No comments:

Post a Comment